Among the great quarries of travertine stone, in the district of Tivoli, the most famous is the “Cava del Barco” largely used for the buildings of ancient Rome. Pope Paul III in 1583 to make easier the transportation of blocks of travertine from the Tivoli quarries to the city of Rome, ordered the dredge of the Aniene’s river bed. By doing so the blocks arrived directly on the hands of the famous architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini who curved them for the making of the great St. Peter’s basilica colonnade.
The Cusa quarries in Sicily, were the main source of the buildings stones for the magnificent temples of Selinunte. This particular stone is a fine-grained type of tufa very resistant for buildings, it was quarried for more then 150 years. Work at the quarry stopped following the outbreak of the war when Selinunte was forced to confront the Carthaginians, “resulting the destruction of the town”. The quarries was abandoned shortly after. Enormous blocks of rock destined for the temples still lie here half-quarried.
Custonaci is in the Trapani district “Sicily”, here there is a fine production of one of the most highly priced marbles in the world. This very rare and precious marble stone, was used anciently to decorate the Bourbon Royal palace of Caserta, an ivory-coloured marble with a pink hue and golden veins, know as “Avorio Venato or Botticino”.
La Maddalena granite, it is believed to be the base of the Statue of Liberty in New York, a piece of Sardinia in America.
Digital Canon 5MK2 color